CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 13, 2009

Sammy Sosa Has Lost His Mind


Sammy Sosa says he is not trying to look like the late Michael Jackson, nor is he suffering from a skin infection. He also says the change in the color of his skin is not a byproduct of his alleged steroid use.

Speaking publicly for the first time since photos of him from a recent musical award ceremony were published on the Internet, Sosa said that the skin lightening is the result of the use of a facial cosmetic cream.

"It's a bleaching cream that I apply before going to bed and whitens my skin some," said the former slugger during the "Primer Impacto" program at the Univision Spanish network.

"It's a cream that I have, that I use to soften [my skin], but has bleached me some. I'm not a racist, I live my life happily," said a smiling Sosa during the interview.

Source

Sammy Sosa has lost his damn mind. At some point, we all have to come to terms with our insecurities. Sosa is 41 years old. It pains me to believe that a man his age isn't comfortable in his own skin...literally. Lots of people in the African-American and Latin communities have a color complex. The roots of that issue are too deep for me to explain in this blog post, but I encourage you to learn more about the topic if it's new to you.

I am a pretty dark skin dude, but my mother has light skin. The skin color issue was never a big deal in my home. I was taught to love people of all shades. Your boy was made fun of a lot as a child because I was darker than everyone else. If I didn't have high self-esteem and a loving support system, I would probably hate my appearance. Ironically, I know a number of women who are attracted to me, in part, because of my dark chocolate skin. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just wish that so many beholders weren't so damn ignorant.

*Cue the TLC*


2 comments:

Lani said...

Asians have a huge color complex as well. My grandma used to bring me home whitening soaps and creams from the Philippines. My mom wouldn't let me play tennis in high school bc she didn't like me getting dark. She also rarely let us go to the beach during the day time. When I was in NC, everyone loved it when I came home from winter bc I was so light. And when I was in the Philippines people didn't believe I was from America bc I was so dark. They don't even show dark skinned Filipinos on Tv...when we were on a game show, they always panned toward my family but only zeroed in on my light skinned cousins.

It really was only in grad school that I began to be comfortable with my skin tone.

Julius Coxswain said...

It's sad really. I am glad you have come to terms with your looks.