CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 28, 2009

Throwing Hands in Kansas


Kansas basketball players involved in fighting with Jayhawks football players apologized Thursday, saying they had embarrassed themselves and their school.

During an impromptu news conference, basketball coach Bill Self called the fighting bad for the entire university. He and a few of his players met with reporters Thursday for the first time since fighting erupted Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning at two different sites on the normally peaceful campus. Basketball guard Tyshawn Taylor injured his finger and will be sidelined for up to a month.

KMBC's Jim Flink reported that Taylor took the brunt of the questioning because he posted some racial slurs on his Facebook page several hours before the fight.

Source


As a former collegiate student-athlete, I am really disturbed by this story. A group of full-scholarship student-athletes should be able to resolve their issues without fighting. They are idolized by most of the campus constituency and I am sure they have no problem attracting the ladies. You would think this level of admiration would be enough to keep these guys mellowed out. Unfortunately, they engaged in a dick measuring contest that blossomed into a full fledged fight.

I have been in my fair share of fist fights. I am pretty sure the last one happened in 8th grade. When I entered high school, I realized that disagreements could be resolved without fisticuffs. This story really hits close to home because most of the people fighting were young Black males. Black men are already the minority on most college campuses. We need to be working together and not against each other. I hope the young brothers involved in this fight will patch things up.

I was introduced to Kansas, the band, when Will Ferrell sang "Dust in the Wind" at Blue's funeral in Old School. That scene was classic...

I close my eyes
Only for a moment and the moment's gone
All my dreams
Pass before my eyes a curiosity
Dust in the wind
All they are is dust in the wind

0 comments: