CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Topless Coffee Shop Is No More

Fire investigators concluded that a fast-moving blaze that destroyed a topless coffee shop in Maine was deliberately set. The state fire marshal's office made the arson determination Wednesday afternoon after investigators sifted through the rubble of the Grand View Coffee Shop in Vassalboro, north of Augusta. Officials aren't saying how or where the fire started.

Owner Donald Crabtree escaped unharmed along with six others. He said the fire seemed suspicious, coming just hours after he appeared before the town's planning board. At the shop, waiters and waitresses without shirts served coffee and doughnuts. Crabtree had met Tuesday night with planning officials to discuss adding a disc jockey, expanding parking and extending the hours of operation. Crabtree said he spent $277,000 buying and renovating the former motel. It wasn't insured, he said.

Source

The level of intolerance in this country is despicable. It seems that conservatives and people with "traditional" beliefs are becoming increasingly violent towards their opposition. The Grand View Coffee Shop violated a few ordinances, but by most accounts this was a well run and legal business.

The people who had a problem with the coffee shop could have pursued a number of constructive avenues to voice their concerns. Petitions and viral protest campaigns are very effective. I cannot stand people who are "holier-then-thou." I'm pretty sure we all do something that is considered unacceptable in the eyes of others. I realize that fanaticism is present among conservatives and liberals. Nevertheless, I expect more from those who believe they hold themselves to a higher moral standard. The owner didn't even have insurance on his establishment. I hope he can afford to repair the damages that were caused by the fire.

One of the coffee shop employees said she hopes the shop is rebuilt bigger and better than ever. Her optimism is echoed in "Break My Stride" my Matthew Wilder.

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on moving
Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
I'm running in a one touch ground, oh no
I got to keep on moving

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Couldn't agree with you more. This sounds familiar to my own rant after a particular interaction I had with someone advertising her Christianity.

Julius Coxswain said...

I hope you were able to laugh it off. You can't take fanatics too seriously.