CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 25, 2010

Sam's Club is Cutting Jobs


Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Sunday it is cutting about 11,200 jobs at its Sam's Club warehouse division as it outsources in-store product sampling in an effort to win more customers and boost lagging sales.

The terminations represent about 10 percent of the warehouse club operator's 110,000 staffers across its 600 stores. About 10,000 members of the demonstration department, most part-time workers, were let go as Wal-Mart announced it will hire marketing company Shopper Events to handle the jobs. Employees were told the news at mandatory meetings Sunday morning. Carolinas figures were unavailable.

The Charlotte Observer

I go to Sam's Club on a pretty regular basis. There is no better place to get 3 pounds of broccoli for $10. At times, I go on a bulk buying frenzy. I don't need 700 bags of green tea, but a part of my soul  won't let me leave that tea on the shelf.

The line lines at Sam's are usually ridiculously long. I have no idea why the company feels it isn't making enough money. Methinks that these layoffs are the result of Capitalistic greed. Sam Walton's companies have put a lot of its competitors out of business. I find it very hard to believe that they need to lay people off. I hope those being affected by this are able to find employment elsewhere. I know from personal experience that living check to check is rough. Sam's is cold as ice for letting people go during these hard economic times.

So many hard times…
Sleepin’ on motel floors
Knockin’ on my brother’s door
Eatin’ Spam and Oreos and drinkin’ Thunderbird baby




0 comments: