CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Rain is Insane in Atlanta


Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue asked President Obama to declare 17 counties in his state a federal disaster area as flood waters start to recede today. Some locations in the northern and central part of the state, including parts of metro Atlanta, received up to 20 inches of rain in 36 hours causing massive flooding not seen here in at least 16 years.

Eight people died in the flood waters, one a two year old boy who was ripped from his mothers arms in West Georgia. Trees weakened from the soaked grounds fell, taking down power lines and leaving up to 50,000 homes in the dark. School districts ordered students to stay home as many roads and freeways remained impassable this morning.

Source

When I first heard some folk describing the rain in Atlanta, I thought they were being dramatic. I immediately changed my mind when I turned on the television and saw the flood damage. The weather people in the Atlanta area knew that strong storms were coming, but I don't think any of them predicted what actually happened.

My internal hard drive was "accidentally" erased by some ass hole technicians at Comp USA a few years ago. I did a little jig of joy when the company filed for bankruptcy. Anyway, I was emotionally distraught for almost a week. I lost a good 200 gigabytes worth of music, pictures, and p0rn. I bring this story up because my loss pales in comparison to the losses of the flood victims. It's sad that it took a natural disaster for me to put my loss into perspective.

Creedence Clearwater Revival sings my favorite rain song. I know the rain in the song is metaphorical, but it still serves a purpose on this blog post.

I want to know
Have you ever seen the rain
I want to know
Have you ever seen the rain
Coming down on a sunny day

0 comments: