CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11 Reflections

I remember where I was and what I was doing when the Twin Towers were attacked. I was sitting in one of my journalism classes at Florida A&M University. My professor left the room unexpectedly and abruptly canceled class when he returned. He told my class that terrorists attacked New York City and that other attacks may be on the horizon. The entire class was in shock.

Florida A&M is located in Tallahassee, which is the capitol of Florida. Since Jeb Bush was governor of Florida at the time, some people thought the terrorists would attack Tallahassee to harm the Bush family. The entire town was on pins and needles. There were a few bomb threats in Tallahassee that day, but they were all false alarms.

I didn't realize the gravity of the situation until I began to watch CNN from my dorm room. I couldn't believe that terrorists had successfully attacked the United States. I eventually joined a group of my friends and we all watched the news coverage together. It was such a surreal experience. I'm usually a pretty stoic person, but I know people could see strong emotions in my eyes. I called my father to make sure my family and friends in New York City and DC were safe. Thankfully, I did not lose any loved ones to the terrorist attacks.

Those terrorist attacks took a lot of innocent lives. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who lost someone during on 9/11.

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

0 comments: