CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 24, 2009

Suicidal Thoughts & Michael Beasley


Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley has checked into an unidentified Houston rehabilitation hospital, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Sources said the Heat encouraged Beasley to check into the facility to address possible substance and psychological issues. He is expected to spend time with former NBA player and coach John Lucas, who is renowned for his success in working with troubled players. As part of the NBA’s treatment program, Beasley is expected to stay in the facility for a minimum of 30 days with little outside contact, one source close to him said.

Beasley’s admission to the center comes as a handful of disturbing Twitter posts were recently attributed to him.

“Y do I feel like the whole world is against me…I can’t win for losin,” Beasley wrote.

“Feelin like it’s not worth livin!!!!!!! I’m done.”

Source

I really hope this young brother is able to get the help he needs. Suicide is rarely talked about in the Black community. There is a myth out there that Black men don't commit suicide. Blacks may commit suicide less than other races, but that shouldn't make Black people believe that suicide is a non-issue. One of my track coaches committed suicide this summer after a battle with cancer. I guess the trials and tribulations he went through in order to get healthy were too much for him to handle. His death was especially troubling to me because I never thought my coach would kill himself. He had lots of loving friends, a son playing college football, and the respect of his peers. His death proved to me that people commit suicide for a large variety of reasons. It proved to me that people who kill themselves don't always have visibly horrible lives.

Michael Beasley is a millionaire athlete with a bright future ahead of him. I pray that his rehab stint will give him the tools he needs to prevail in his internal struggle. In time, I hope that Beasley will feel comfortable enough to speak to people about what it's like to overcome suicidal thoughts.

All I want is your understanding
As in the small act of affection
Why is this my life
Is almost everybody's question
And I've tried, everything but suicide
But it's crossed my mind

0 comments: