CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hard Times in Haiti


Haitians piled bodies along the devastated streets of their capital Wednesday after the strongest earthquake hit the poor Caribbean nation in more than 200 years crushed thousands of structures, from schools and shacks to the National Palace and the U.N. peacekeeping headquarters. Untold numbers were still trapped.

The devastation was so complete that it seemed likely the death toll from Tuesday afternoon's magnitude-7.0 quake would run into the thousands. France's foreign minister said the head of the U.N. peacekeeping mission was apparently among the dead.

International Red Cross spokesman Paul Conneally said an estimated 3 million people may have been affected by the quake and that it would take a day or two for a clear picture of the damage to emerge.

Yahoo News

I have a number of Haitian friends who have family members that live in Haiti. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone being affected by this tragedy. It must be nerve racking to not hear from loved ones who reside in an area hit by a natural disaster. The only thing worse is getting a call that says your loved one(s) didn't survive the cataclysmic event. I want to contact those friends to show that I empathize with their situation, but I don't want to over step my bounds or create an awkward situation. I know that some people prefer to be left alone to deal with tough situations. Hopefully, I can help them in some way, shape, or form.

A large percentage of the Haitian residents live in poverty. I am thankful that I have most of the things I need and some of the things I want.

You may not have a car at all
But remember brothers and sisters
You can still stand tall
Just be thankful for what you've got


0 comments: