CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Fourth Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards

Janelle Monáe, Mary J. Blige, Salt-N-Pepa's Spinderella and -- oddly enough -- Anthony Hamilton are among the honorees for the fourth annual Black Girls Rock! Awards, which take place Saturday (Oct. 17) in New York and recognize women of color making strides in arts and entertainment.

Monáe, who is currently working on the followup to her debut album "Metropolis, Suite I: The Chase," will receive the "Who's Got Next" award. The alt-R&B singer tells Billboard.com that the honor feels like a call to duty.

"Black girls have always been rockin,'" says Monáe. "I just want to make sure I'm also leading by example. I want to continue to inspire other young girls of color to be artists and express themselves creatively."

Source

This is a great event and it saddens me that it didn't get more media coverage. I'm pretty sure it wasn't televised. I had to scour the Internet to find a decent article on it. Young girls, especially those from ethnic minorities, don't always see positive role models that look like themselves on television. Society, as a whole, gives too much attention to women who are ignorant and/or sexually explicit. The aforementioned women are pretty entertaining, but they give impressionable girls and young women the wrong idea. I am glad this group of classy upwardly mobile sisters got together to recognize each other's accomplishments. I hope the Black Girls Rock! Awards get more attention in the future.

Instinct leads me to another flow
Every time I hear a brother call a girl a bitch or a ho
Trying to make a sister feel low
You know all of that gots to go

0 comments: