CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dancing In Des Moines

A decades-old ban on early-morning dancing in Des Moines is heading into the history books.Monday night, the Des Moines City Council voted unanimously to repeal the 1942 ordinance. It banned dancing in a public place between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. City leaders said the ban was silly and rarely enforced. Nightclub owners said it's a step in the right direction.

“There is not going to be an outpouring of dancing after 2 a.m., it's just nice to get rid of a law on the books that makes DSM look like a 19th century city,” said Zachary Mannheimer, director of the Des Moines Social Club.

The council won't take a final vote on repealing the dance ban until next month. It's also considering some kind of permitting process for all night dance venues.

Source

I am sure there are laws like this in other small/rural towns. Slavery is probably legal is certain parts of Texas. Juneteenth be damned! Anyway, I don't think anyone is rushing to Des Moines to party, but I am glad this law was repealed. The City Council in Charlotte needs to take note and allow the sale of alcohol after 2am. I don't drink, but I do like to support the performing arts every once in awhile. Clubs and bars usually close at 2am in the Queen City because alcohol isn't sold after that time. We all know the clubs are going to shut it down for the night if they can't sell spirits. I can dance, laugh, and have a good time without Barcardi Silver, but some people need that extra boost. The US is in a recession right now and some of its citizens want to party away their problems. I wrote a letter to the Charlotte City Council in hopes that it would consider allowing businesses to sell alcohol after 2am. I have been patiently awaiting a response for about 7 months now.

One of my favorite songs about dancing is "He's the Greatest Dancer" by Sister Sledge. I never understood why there was such a backlash against disco. The songs were catchy and filled with live instrumentation. If I had the resources, I would start a Disco Ain't Dead campaign.

The champion of dance his moves will put you in a trance,
And he never leaves the disco alone.
I'd of guessed to my conceit
As a man he's complete
My creme'de'le creme please take me home

4 comments:

Lani said...

you seriously wrote a letter? wow you are such a concerned citizen. you don't even live in that city anymore!

Julius Coxswain said...

Charlotte will always be in my heart.

Jessica said...

Long live letter writing! Just this week I submitted a question about a personal curiosity regarding Charlotte and my councilman replied with a prompt e-mail.

I wish you well while you wait for your reply.

Julius Coxswain said...

I am glad you got a response. The First Amendment exists for a reason and I trust that someone will get back to me...eventually.